The Civil Designer is a creative self-starter willing to assist in the civil engineering design and production for assigned projects.
The Civil Designer supports all areas of civil design from concept development through final construction documents. Civil design work includes highways, infrastructure, site development and Department of Transportation projects (ODOT preferred).
The Civil Designer is a positive contributor to other team members and is focused on self-improvement and enhancing their professional skills. This person is an honest, reliable employee who works with all team members to develop and implement civil designs that meet the constraints of scope, time, budget, schedule and client expectations. The Civil Designer is a good listener and an outgoing and personable problem solver, experienced and comfortable working on a broad range of project assignments, as an individual and as a member of a team.
The ideal candidate is actively engaged in training and continuous skill-set development. They can grasp the big picture without becoming labored or entrenched in the minute details of a solution. KZF Design believes in the Promise of Design and delivering on its promises. As a diverse group of multidisciplinary professionals working together to create competitive solutions for our clients, the Civil Designer is an integral participant and a producer in that effort.
The responsibilities of the Civil Designer include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Keeping KZF’s promise of design and client satisfaction
- Supporting design and production on civil engineering projects
- Prepare documents in conformance with company standards and quality control requirements
- Design, engineer and detail a broad range of project types
- Demonstrate experience with both public and private projects
- Work within budgets and meet schedules and client expectations
- Serve the external client by serving the internal client
- Work closely with all company disciplines
- Coordinate work with architects, engineers, designers and technical personnel
- Participate in internal and external design charrettes and presentations
- Become involved in the local engineering community
- Seek guidance and mentorship from senior staff and Director of Civil Engineering
This is a full-time position with an expectation of being in the downtown Cincinnati office multiple days a week, subject to change according to company policy. KZF offers flexibility in setting hours to balance work and personal life.
KZF Design is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No recruiter calls please.
Do you meet these specifications?
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited US college
- Completion of NCEES FE exam and NCEES PE exam (preferred)
- 3-5 years of experience in an Engineering or Architectural/Engineering consulting firm (desired)
- Relevant Co-op or previous experience in the field of Civil Engineering with an emphasis on infrastructure, site work and Department of Transportation projects.
- Experience producing site/civil documents in an A/E or Civil Engineering design firm
- Experienced working in AutoCAD or Microstation
- Experience developing design and construction documents in CAD
- Completed EIT with a desire to obtain PE licensure
- Desire to be NCEES certified with ability to be licensed in any state
- Experience working in Civil3D and Microstation GEOPAK
- Knowledgeable of current site design and infrastructure technical criteria
- Experience performing site and roadway material take-offs and cost estimating
- Experience working on a variety of project types for a diverse range of clients in both the private and public markets
- Experience in writing technical summaries, comment dispositions, and charrette reports
- Experience working on civil engineering projects for a range of agencies and organizations
- Desire for progressive career development
- Participation in professional organizations
- Knowledge of engineering design trends, new products and materials
- Knowledge of current AASHTO and ODOT technical criteria
What sets KZF Design apart from other design firms?
- KZF is financially strong and stable
- KZF has consistently been profitable since 1992
- The company serves six diverse markets in public and private sectors
- KZF has many long-term public and private financially stable clients
- Opportunities are present for upward mobility/promotion within the firm
- KZF has designed many notable local projects and has won many design awards
- KZF offers true “full service” with MEP, civil, structural, interiors, landscape architecture, and planning services
- For 37 years KZF has been ranked as an Interior Design Giant
- Cincinnati’s 6th largest Architecture Firm (Business Courier May 2022)
- Cincinnati’s 5th largest Engineering Firm (Business Courier November 2022)
- Top Workplace 2 years running (Cincinnati Enquirer)
- Top 500 Design Firms (Engineering News-Record)
- We have been a multi-disciplined design firm for 67 years
- Company consistently works on self-improvement to ensure long term success
- A mentoring work environment is part of our culture
- Continuing education is encouraged and supported
- Good benefits including health care, life and disability insurance and 401(k) matching
The Team says:
- A warm culture — people genuinely care and support one another
- A sense of family with common goals and mutual respect throughout the workplace
- Working together as a multi-discipline team makes us stronger
- Flexibility in setting hours allows balance between work and personal life
- A firm that celebrates its history and heritage
- Continuity of staff with valuable experience makes employees feel stable
- Interacting as one team in one office makes collaboration easier and more enjoyable
- A company where you can grow — changing for the better and you can be a part of it
- Architectural teams are backed by strong in-house interior design, civil, MEP and structural engineers
- A focus on technology and technical tools that make design and collaboration better
- High-profile projects and partnering with national/internationally recognized design firms
- A great downtown location in a LEED® Gold and ENERGY STAR® certified office designed by us
- Awesome, newly-renovated open office workspace that has been designed to foster collaboration