The Civil Engineer is a creative self-starter willing to assume the day-to-day responsibilities of civil engineering design and production for assigned projects.
The Civil Engineer supports all areas of civil engineering design from concept development through final construction documents.
The Civil Engineer is a detailed oriented, confident decision maker capable leading roadway and site design projects. This person motivates and mentors other team members and junior staff while working to self-improve and enhance their own professional skills. This person is an honest, reliable, team player who works with all team members to develop and implement civil designs that meet the constraints of budget, schedule and client expectations.
The Civil Engineer is a good listener, an experienced communicator, a leader, a teacher, a trusted collaborator and a “caretaker of the vision” of KZF Design; maintaining a recognized presence in the Engineering community.
As well as being creative, this person exhibits versatility in the approach of design solutions, is an outgoing and personable problem solver, and is experienced and comfortable working on a broad range of project types.
The ideal candidate is able to delegate and leverage skill sets through mentoring, coaching and training staff. They are able to see the big picture without becoming labored or entrenched in the minute details of a solution. KZF believes in the Promise of Design and delivering on its promises. As a diverse group of multidisciplinary professionals working together to create competitive solutions for our clients, the Civil Engineer is an integral participant and a critical leader in that effort.
The responsibilities of the Civil Engineer include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Keeping KZF’s promise of design and client satisfaction
- Designing, engineering and overseeing a broad range of project types
- Demonstrating experience with both public and private projects
- Working within a full range of budgets
- Working closely with all company disciplines
- Serving the external client by serving the internal client
- Providing technical oversight to KZF’s junior engineers and technical staff
- Participating in internal and external design charrettes and presentations
- Active involvement in the local engineering community
- Mentor, provide guidance and be a professional educator for junior staff
This is a full-time position with an expectation of being in the downtown Cincinnati office multiple days a week, subject to change according to company policy. KZF offers flexibility in setting hours to balance work and personal life.
KZF Design is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No recruiter calls please.
Do you meet these specifications?
- Minimum 7 years of experience in site design
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, ABET accredited
- PE License, NCEES certified with ability to be licensed in any State
- Demonstrated experience working in an engineering or architecture/engineering design consulting firm, with an emphasis on site work, storm water and utility design, parking and Department of Transportation projects (ODOT preferred)
- Capable and experienced in all areas of civil engineering, concept development and final design, with an emphasis on civil / site work
- Understanding and experience with design and office related computer software and operating systems (HydroFlow drainage design software, proficiency in AutoCAD Civil 3D, AASHTO and ODOT design standards, Microsoft Office, BIM standards)
- Experience producing site/civil documents in an A/E consulting firm in accordance with local, state, and federal standards
- Ability to be registered in every state – (NCEES preferred)
- Experience using MicroStation OpenRoads or GEOPAK
- LEED AP certification
- Experience working with Federal Government Agencies such as the Department of Defense, the Department of Justice, and the US Army Corps of Engineers
What sets KZF Design apart from other design firms?
- KZF is financially strong and stable
- KZF has consistently been profitable since 1992
- The company serves six diverse markets in public and private sectors
- KZF has many long-term public and private financially stable clients
- Opportunities are present for upward mobility/promotion within the firm
- KZF has designed many notable local projects and has won many design awards
- KZF offers true “full service” with MEP, civil, structural, interiors, landscape architecture, and planning services
- For 37 years KZF has been ranked as an Interior Design Giant
- Cincinnati’s 6th largest Architecture Firm (Business Courier May 2022)
- Cincinnati’s 5th largest Engineering Firm (Business Courier November 2022)
- Top Workplace 2 years running (Cincinnati Enquirer)
- Top 500 Design Firms (Engineering News-Record)
- We have been a multi-disciplined design firm for 67 years
- Company consistently works on self-improvement to ensure long term success
- A mentoring work environment is part of our culture
- Continuing education is encouraged and supported
- Good benefits including health care, life and disability insurance and 401(k) matching
The Team says:
- A warm culture — people genuinely care and support one another
- A sense of family with common goals and mutual respect throughout the workplace
- Working together as a multi-discipline team makes us stronger
- Flexibility in setting hours allows balance between work and personal life
- A firm that celebrates its history and heritage
- Continuity of staff with valuable experience makes employees feel stable
- Interacting as one team in one office makes collaboration easier and more enjoyable
- A company where you can grow — changing for the better and you can be a part of it
- Architectural teams are backed by strong in-house interior design, civil, MEP and structural engineers
- A focus on technology and technical tools that make design and collaboration better
- High-profile projects and partnering with national/internationally recognized design firms
- A great downtown location in a LEED® Gold and ENERGY STAR® certified office designed by us
- Awesome, newly-renovated open office workspace that has been designed to foster collaboration