The Mechanical Designer is a creative self-starter who accepts the responsibilities of mechanical document production for assigned projects and provides CAD document support to other production teams as may be needed.
The Mechanical Designer provides support for all areas of mechanical and plumbing document production, from concept development through final design.
Working to achieve the document production goals within the constraints of time, budget and client expectations, the Mechanical Designer is a get-it done team player, who takes pride in having the following strong characteristics and traits: self-starter, able to manage parallel project assignments, willing to learn and become proficient in multiple CAD software applications, proactive in seeking advice and counsel, organized, detail oriented, good written and verbal skills, and enjoys the work they do.
This person is able to work closely with KZF Design’s engineers and other technical staff to develop and produce design and production documents using REVIT, AutoCAD and MicroStation software. As a diverse group of multidisciplinary professionals working together to create competitive solutions for our clients, the Mechanical Designer is an integral part of that effort. KZF believes in the “Promise of Design” and delivering on that promise.
The ideal candidate holds KZF’s core values of integrity, commitment, creativity, credibility, flexibility, and teamwork as their own and uses them as a beacon to keep and attract like-minded individuals to the company and to reinforce a common vision and purpose.
The responsibilities of the Mechanical Designer include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Helping our clients achieve their goals
- Work with Senior Mechanical Engineers and Project Managers to meet KZF’s goals and objectives
- Support Senior Mechanical Engineers on assigned projects
- Assist with the preparation of Mechanical Engineering design studies, design narratives, calculations, and analysis
- Research building materials and systems for incorporation into the building design
- Conduct field investigations as required to understand project requirements
- Prepare Mechanical design and construction documents in REVIT MEP to KZF standards and quality control requirements
- Maintain technical accuracy, constructability, code conformance, and appropriate level of detail for project scopes
- Coordinate Mechanical Engineering work with other discipline work
- Maintain a working knowledge of architectural, electrical, plumbing and structural building systems
- Participate in value engineering; attend project team meetings
- Assist with construction administration, review shop drawings, prepare construction submittals, participate in construction site observation, prepare Request for Information (RFI) responses, work with the construction administration department and other team members to resolve construction issues in a timely manner
KZF Design is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No recruiter calls please.
Do you meet these specifications?
- Experience producing construction documents in an A/E consulting firm
- Proficiency in REVIT MEP; familiarity with A/E industry BIM standards
- Experience designing HVAC and Plumbing systems for buildings to meet LEED criteria
- Experience using HVAC analysis software; Carrier HAP or TRACE 700
- Familiarity with building Mechanical system design, including HVAC systems, HVAC controls, plumbing systems, fire protection, piping systems, and Mechanical utility systems
- Comfortable with a wide range of project types
- Knowledgeable in related areas of building design
- Experience working on parallel assignments
- Proactive and assertive in problem solving
- Experience working in teams
- Good written and oral communications skills; good client skills
- Comfortable with making group presentations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- LEED AP (a plus)
- Proficiency in AutoCAD (a plus)
What sets KZF Design apart from other design firms?
- KZF is financially strong and stable
- KZF has consistently been profitable since 1992
- The company serves five diverse marketplaces in the public and private sectors
- KZF has many long term public and private financially stable clients
- Opportunities are present for upward mobility/promotion within the firm
- KZF has designed many notable local projects and has won many design awards
- KZF offers true “full service” with MEP, civil, structural, interiors, planning services
- For 31 years KZF has been ranked as an Interior Design Giant
- Cincinnati’s 9th largest Architecture Firm (Business Courier June 2019)
- Cincinnati’s 10th largest Engineering Firm (Business Courier May 2019)
- We have been a multi-disciplined design firm for 60 years
- Company consistently works on self-improvement to ensure long term success
- A mentoring work environment is part of our culture
- Continuing education is encouraged and supported
- Good Benefits including health care, life and disability insurance and 401-k matching
The Team says:
- A warm culture – people genuinely care and support one another
- A sense of family with common goals and mutual respect throughout the workplace
- Working together as a multi-discipline team makes us stronger
- Flexibility in setting hours allows balance between work and personal life
- A firm that celebrates its history and heritage
- Continuity of staff with valuable experience makes employees feel stable
- Interacting as one team in one office makes collaboration easier and more enjoyable
- A company where you can grow – changing for the better and you can be a part of it
- Architectural teams are backed by strong in-house interior design, civil, MEP andÂ structural engineers
- A focus on technology and technical tools that make design and collaboration better
- High-profile projects and partnering with national/internationally recognized design firms
- A great downtown location in a LEED Gold® and ENERGY STAR® office designed by us
- Awesome, open office workspace that has been designed to foster collaboration