The Junior Urban Planner for KZF Design is a creative problem-solver with the ability to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems, attending to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind.
This person is a great communicator and collaborator, with the ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, both technical and non-technical. Communication, both oral and graphic, are critical – whether that be through explaining rules, procedures, plans, maps, and strategies clearly to the public, or developing mapping, site plans, renderings, presentation or written reports.
This person is passionate, self-motivated, and has a strong desire to research, learn, and grow as a professional; someone who can appropriately apply technology to solve problems and provide services to our clients. This position focuses on creating places that define communities – through sound community and transportation planning – for cities, counties and townships in southwest Ohio and northern Kentucky. Typical project types include corridor and small area studies, streetscape and urban design, bridge aesthetics, signage/wayfinding, parks and open spaces, community gateways and bicycle/pedestrian facilities.
The Planner must be able to work independently and in a team environment and meet project deadlines within a predetermined timeframe. They must be able to work on several projects or issues simultaneously, manage their time effectively between projects/tasks, and work independently or in a team environment as needed.
The responsibilities of the Junior Urban Planner include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in developing planning studies and reports in support of new and updated plans, programs and regulations for government agencies and private-sector clients
- Assist the planning team in advising planning officials on project feasibility, cost-effectiveness, regulatory conformance, or possible alternatives.
- Discuss with clients the purpose of planning projects, such as transportation, conservation, residential, commercial, industrial, or community facilities.
- Conduct field investigations, surveys, impact studies, or other research to compile and analyze data on economic, social, regulatory, or physical factors affecting projects.
- Determine the effects of regulatory limitations on projects.
- Generate maps and data visualization for reports and presentations.
- Assist in the review of site plans for conformance with codes, plans, and regulations.
- Collects a variety of statistical data and prepare reports and maps on topics such as census information, land use, tax base data, and occupancy rates.
- Communicate between community groups, government agencies, developers and elected officials in developing neighborhood plans.
- Provide information to the public regarding planning projects.
- Attends daytime, evening and weekend meetings if needed.
KZF Design is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No recruiter calls please.
Do you meet these specifications?
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning from a PAB-accredited university
- 2–4 years of experience in the A/E design consulting industry
- Proficient in use of Esri ArcGIS Desktop
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Proficient in the use of Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Strong writing, communication, and graphics skills
- Experience producing planning documents at an A/E consulting firm
- Experience working with public, government agencies
- Experience working on large planning projects and documents
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD and SketchUp
- Involvement with civic or professional organizations
- AICP Candidate
- Experience working with Revit
- Graphic design skills
- Hand or digital renderings skills
- AICP certification
What sets KZF Design apart from other design firms?
- KZF Design helps our clients design a better future
- Multidisciplinary: Architecture, MEP, Structural, Civil, Interior Design and Planning
- Public markets served include Education, Transportation, and Federal/State/Local government
- Private markets served include Commercial & Industrial and Workplace Design
- Strong project portfolio across all six markets
- Cincinnati’s 10th largest Architecture Firm (Business Courier May-2020)
- Cincinnati’s 8th largest Engineering Firm (Business Courier Feb-2020)
- For 33 years KZF has been ranked as an Interior Design Giant by Interior Design magazine
- We have been in business for more than 60 years
- Financially strong and stable – consistently profitable since 1992
- Company consistently works on self-improvement to ensure long term success
- Stable workforce with an average tenure of 15 years
- Good Benefits including health care, life and disability insurance, and 401-k matching
The Team says:
- A warm culture – people genuinely care and support one another
- A sense of family with common goals and mutual respect throughout the workplace
- Working together as a multidisciplinary team makes us stronger
- Flexibility in setting hours allows balance between work and personal life
- A firm that celebrates its history and heritage
- Continuity of staff with valuable experience makes employees feel stable
- Interacting as one team in one office makes collaboration easier and more enjoyable
- A company where you can grow – changing for the better and you can be a part of it
- Architectural teams are backed by strong in-house interior design, civil, MEP and structural engineers
- A focus on technology and technical tools that make design and collaboration better
- High-profile projects and partnering with national/internationally recognized design firms
- A great downtown location in a LEED® Gold and ENERGY STAR® office designed by us
- Awesome, open office workspace that has been designed to foster collaboration